Cinnamon Buns Recipe "Kanelbullar"
In Sweden, the fika or coffee break is traditional, being a very important part of the day, becoming a whole social institution, since it is used to disconnect from work and spend a pleasant time with colleagues, friends or family.
And here comes the important thing, coffee is not taken alone, but served with a light bite, like a kanelbullar. Their smell of cinnamon will envelop your senses, they are so popular that October 4 is the Day of the cinnamon bun!
If you are one of those people who like to prepare a special breakfast, with this recipe you will shine in the kitchen.
- Wheat flour 750 g
- 100 g sugar
- Butter 120 g
- Fresh baker's yeast 35 g
- Milk 300 ml
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Egg 1
- Butter for the filling 100 g
- Sugar for the filling 50 g
- Ground cinnamon for the filling 2 tablespoons
- Brush Egg 1
- Brush water 2 tablespoons
- Pearl sugar
1. The first step will be to melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. We crumble the yeast and add it together with the milk, which we will have previously heated to about 37ºC. We stir it with a whisk until everything is united.
2. Put the flour in a large bowl, make a hole in the center and add the sugar, salt, cardamom, beaten egg and butter mixture. Knead everything until you get a smooth dough, we can knead by hand or with a food processor.
3. Form the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl dusted with flour, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest until it doubles in volume, about an hour. After this time we take it out, knead it to degas and spread it with a roller, giving it the shape of a rectangle about 3 mm thick.
4.To make the filling, mix the butter, sugar, water and cinnamon in a bowl. With this mixture, we paint the dough that we have spread out and then roll it on the long side. We moisten the edges with water so that they are well glued and cut the roll into pieces of about 2 cm.
5. Place the buns on a tray lined with greaseproof paper and let them rest until they double in volume again, about an hour. We preheat the oven to 190º. We beat the egg and the water and paint the surface of the buns with this mixture. Sprinkle the pearl sugar and cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Finally, we serve. You can serve them while they are still a little warm and the dough is soft and fluffy. Accompany them with coffee or a glass of cold milk.