Discover how to prepare the famous Swedish Meatballs
This Swedish dish is very famous not only in Sweden, but around the world. These meat balls are the typical dish of IKEA stores. With this recipe you can prepare the homemade version of this traditional dish.
- Minced meat (beef or mixed with pork) 750 g
- Medium onion
- Butter 120 g
- Milk 80 ml
- Bread crumb 25 g
- Egg 1
- Salt a teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Wheat flour 40 g
- Meat broth 500 ml
- Liquid cream for cooking 100 ml
1.In a frying pan we put 30 g of butter to melt and sauté the finely chopped onion for a few minutes over medium heat until it becomes transparent and a little golden. We reserve it and let it cool. In a bowl we toss the bread crumbs with the milk and let it rest for a few minutes to soften, once soft we put a blender in it to crush it.
2. In a large bowl we add the minced meat, the salt, the ground cardamom if it was in seeds, the black pepper and the nutmeg. Later we add the beaten egg, the milk with the bread and finally the caramelized onion. We stir to integrate the ingredients well. This operation is best done with very clean hands.
3. We are taking equal portions of meat with a spoon or a small ice cream rationer and preparing our meatballs for a tray. Go frying them in olive oil or butter in batches and reserving them to add later to the sauce.
4.For the sauce, prepare a heavy-bottomed pan, melt the rest of the butter (90 g), add the flour at once and cook it for a few minutes until it turns brown with milk. At this time we add the meat broth, stirring constantly so that lumps do not form, and let it cook for five minutes. Add the cream and cook our meatballs in the sauce for fifteen minutes. If the sauce is too thick, we can add small portions of meat broth or water.
With what to accompany the Swedish meatballs?
Swedish meatballs can be served with a cranberry sauce or hot jam, and mashed potato as a garnish. The contrast of the spicy flavor of the meat with the sweet and sour of the blueberries, forms a very appetizing set. So we can enjoy an authentic Swedish dish, with the meat of our choice, in our own home.