How to make chocolate ice cream by hand at home
We talked about the benefits that chocolate brings to our health, now is the time to prepare a delicious homemade chocolate ice cream!
For this recipe you will need:
300 ml of whipping cream or 35% fat cream
- 100 ml of whole milk and 100 ml of condensed milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 x 100g tablets of your favorite chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
We can make this ice cream with or without an ice cream machine, the difference is minimal because the fat base of cocoa butter and dairy products facilitates its preparation. I explain how to do it in both ways.
Ice cream base. The chocolate
First we separate half of one of the tablets and cut it into small pieces in the mincer.
- These pieces are the best that we are going to find, small particles of our favorite chocolate in our homemade ice cream.
- We reserve for the end of the preparation.
Ice cream base. The cream
Add the liquid fresh cream, whole milk, and condensed milk to a saucepan and heat until tempered.
- We separate the eggs, it is best to crack the egg with more care than normal. Exactly in the center to make an opening between the two halves where the thumb fits. We can help each other with a knife.
- We hold the egg over a bowl and with the wide end down, carefully lift the smaller half of the shell.
- Some of the white will fall into the bowl, while the yolk will remain in the larger half of the shell.
- We carefully slide the yolk towards the small piece of the shell and then back towards the large one so that the rest of the white falls into the bowl.
- And from there to another bowl with the rest of the yolks that we have separated. It's easy, after doing it several times, practice will make it super simple.
- We beat the yolks manually with a few rods or a simple fork until it is like a cream.
- Add the yolks to the milk cream, also the tablespoon of vanilla essence, the chocolate in pieces and the cocoa powder.
- We stir until the chocolate is melted, once it is dissolved we beat everything very well until the ingredients are well integrated.
- Leave a few minutes over low heat and stirring continuously until it thickens a bit (it should not come to a boil or it will cut).
- We let the chocolate cream cool completely before putting it in a container or tupperware.
- We put all the mixture in the fridge. We must leave it there for at least three hours before we start working with it.
Preparation of chocolate ice cream
If we make the ice cream with a refrigerator, we have to leave the cream in the fridge for several hours and then we can keep it.
- We have to do the process by which the texture of ice cream changes from liquid to solid or semi-solid through stirring and chilling.
- The objective is to turn the cream we have into a kind of butter where we must break the ice crystals through movement. Introducing air to the mixture (by means of a refrigerator or manual shaking), is the most important step to achieve a creamy ice cream.
Preparation by hand. Hardening
Manually: When we make the ice cream without a refrigerator, it is necessary to keep the cream in the refrigerator for about three hours and then put it in the freezer for another hour to rest.
- Finally we will spend another two and a half hours stirring the ice cream in the freezer every little time to break the crystallization.
- To remove it, we take it out and transfer the cream to a metal bowl that we previously had in the fridge, it must be very cold.
- We beat with a few rods to avoid the formation of the crystals, since no matter how much fat the base of the ice cream has, they can form.
- During the first hour I recommend doing it every ten minutes, then every thirty minutes and so on three times.
- At the end of everything, we add the chopped chocolate chips and then we leave them in the freezer until the next day.
Preparation with an ice cream machine. Hardening
With an ice cream machine. This method is much easier, we remove the cream from the refrigerator and place it in the ice cream machine and it will constantly beat the cream (this way air enters the mixture, which crystals are smaller and the mixture lighter).
Final presentation of the chocolate ice cream
Once we have the ice cream mixture, we just have to transfer it to a tupper and freeze until the next day.
- We remove from the freezer a few minutes before consuming it.
- We put two or three scoops of ice cream in each glass and we can decorate with some chocolate noodles, chocolate powder or warm chocolate cream.
You can also do this with many different flavours, the process is the same. Just add the flavours you want.