Belgian waffle recipe for you to prepare yourself
In Belgium there are several dessert recipes that are successful all over the world, the best-known sweet that is an icon are waffles. The fame of this dessert is so great that it has crossed borders, becoming a popular cake in many European countries and the United States. The waffle, gaufre in French, waffle, wafol or wafle, is a kind of crunchy cake on the outside, which is cooked between hot plates. Its characteristic grid shape comes precisely from the traditional plates, originally made of cast iron, with which it is prepared. In Belgium there are several types of waffles, the so-called Belgian waffles in a generic way and the Liège waffle waffles, typical of that city. If what we want to know is which one is the real one, the answer is all, each waffle is the authentic one in its area of origin. The best known and commercialized both inside and outside its borders is the Lièja waffle.
Prepare them yourself, you will only need:
- 250 g. wheat flour
- 90 ml. whole milk
- 25 g. fresh yeast
- 2 medium eggs
- a pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 125 g. butter at room temperature
- 150 g. pearl sugar
- In a cup, heat the milk slightly and dissolve the fresh yeast and the vanilla essence in it. It is important not to heat the milk too much, as the excess heat will kill the fresh yeast. If you are going to use grain or lyophilized yeast, it would also be added in this step.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix and make a hole in the central part where we add the yeast milk and the eggs. With a fork, begin to integrate the ingredients until you have a more or less homogeneous dough.
- Let the dough rise, covered with transparent paper, for 30 to 40 minutes in a warm place. A perfect place could be the oven that was previously warm and turned off. After this time add the butter in pieces and begin to knead until it has been integrated into the dough. Add the pearl sugar and knead a few more minutes so that the sugar is distributed.
- Butter the waffle iron and heat it. When it is hot add a portion of the dough in each of the holes of the waffle iron and close it.
- Heat it for 6 to 7 minutes. The serving sizes will be about two tablespoons. It does not need to cover the entire surface as closing the waffle iron will spread the dough.