A little piece of Belgium in your kitchen, rice cake recipe
This dessert is originally from Belgium, you will find it in many pastry shops, even in some restaurants they serve it as a dessert. Normally its presentation is in small tartlets in all patisseries, but both in homes and in some restaurants it is very common to prepare them in tarts.
Rijsttaartje is one of the most popular cakes in Belgian gastronomy, it is typical of the Rhine and Meuse region and as with many other recipes, each house has its own version. It is a simple cake that also admits many variants and that we can flavor in many ways, tradition calls for flavoring it with cinnamon, but we can choose to add other types of ingredients.
For the filling
- 800 ml milk
- 200 ml of cream
- 140 grams of Bomba rice
- 180 grams of fine sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 egg
For the dough
- 225 gr. Of flour
- 80 gr. icing sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120 gr. of butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- The first thing we must do is make the filling to later reserve it while we cook the dough.
- We will put a pot with the milk, the cinnamon, the whole vanilla bean and heat everything well over medium heat until it boils.
- When we see that the mixture is boiling, it will be time to add the rice and let it cook for approximately 15 minutes over medium heat. Try to remove it so it doesn't stick.
- After this we will reserve the rice, letting it cool down to room temperature and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- To make the dough we must mix the flour with the icing sugar. We form a pile with the mixture and in the center we add the butter cut into squares and the salt.
- We agilely mix the dough and then add the egg to continue mixing the dough well until it binds.
- The kneading work must be done well until we finally see that we have a firm and homogeneous dough. After this, we will only make a ball and wrap it in film to put it in the fridge for an hour.
- Once we have the two parts of the rice tart, dough and filling, we proceed to assemble them. To do this, we will spread the dough with a thickness of 2 mm. We place it in the greased molds and cut the edges.
- We remove the rice from the fridge and remove the vanilla bean and cinnamon. Next we add beaten egg and mix everything well.
- We add this mixture to the molds and paint the surface with a little egg yolk.
- We put the molds in the oven, previously preheated to 230 degrees, and leave them there for 25 or 30 minutes.